The sun, our environment and our eating habits can all affect the health of our skin. By making healthier choices, you can ensure you have glowing, radiant skin. Here are some tips on how you can get healthier skin.
1. Protect Skin From the Sun
A lifetime of sun exposure will lead to age spots, wrinkles and other skin problems, along with an increased risk of skin cancer.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. Apply generously and don’t forget to reapply every two hours or more often if you will be swimming or sweating.
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., which is when the sun’s rays are at their peak. Seek shade during these times.
- Wear protective clothing, such as tightly-woven, long-sleeved shirts, long pants and wide-brimmed hats. You can also don sun-protective clothing specifically designed to block UV rays.
2. Don’t Smoke
Smoking ages your skin and causes wrinkles by narrowing the tiny blood vessels in the outer layers of your skin. In turn, this decreases blood flow and makes your skin look paler, depleting the skin of oxygen and nutrients that are vital to its health.
In addition, smoking damages collagen and elastin, which both give your skin strength and elasticity. And all those repetitive facial expressions you make whenever you smoke, like pursing your lips or squinting your eyes to keep the smoke out, can all cause wrinkles. On top of all that, smoking increases your risk of squamous cell skin cancer.
3. Be Gentle With Your Skin
All the cleansing and shaving you do every day can really take a toll on the skin. Baby it by:
- Limiting bath time, a shot water and long showers or baths strip your skin of oils that your skin needs.
- Avoid strong soaps and detergents, choosing mild cleansers instead.
- Shave carefully by protecting and lubricating your skin with shaving cream, lotion or gel. Always use a clean, sharp razor for the closest shave, and be sure to shave in the direction your hair grows rather than against it.
- Pat your skin dry after washing or bathing with a towel to keep in at least some moisture.
- Moisturize dry skin with a daily moisturizer containing SPF.
4. Eat a Healthy Diet
Be sure to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins to encourage acne-free, younger looking skin. You should also drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
5. Manage Stress
Uncontrolled stress makes your skin more sensitive and can trigger acne breakouts. Get enough sleep, set reasonable limits, take time out each day just for yourself, and trim back your crazy schedule.
6. Prevent Scarring
Before letting wounds set in and cause scarring, be sure to treat them daily with a silicone scar gel like Scarfade. You can use it on scars obtained from burns, cuts, surgery, sports injuries and more.
Enjoying healthier skin starts with the above tips!